The mission of the Fondation François-Lamy is to preserve and enhance the architectural, cultural and natural heritage of Sainte-Famille and of the Island of Orleans. Carrying out of this mission is reflected by the development and the opening to the public of the Maison de nos Aïeux, the Maison Drouin and the Parc-des-Ancêtres, and by the many activities organised to broadcast the heritage of the Island of Orleans.
Created in 1978 by Georges-Henri Blouin, Pascal Poulin and the priest of Sainte-Famille Bertrand Fournier, the Fondation François-Lamy first aims to preserve and enhance the religious heritage of the parish of Sainte-Famille. To achieve this, it becomes a non-profit organization in 1985 and during the summer, grants access to the inside of the church of Sainte-Famille, a historical building from 1742.
Throughout the years, the mission of the foundation changes and its responsibilities continue to increase. In 1997, the foundation acquires the Maison Drouin to make it available to the general public. After a long procedure, the Maison Drouin is listed as a heritage building by the ministry of Culture and Communications of Quebec in 2010 and is entirely restored in 2013.
In 1998, the Fondation François-Lamy also acquires the old rectory of Sainte-Famille, and it becomes the Maison de nos Aïeux, a place dedicated to the history of the Island of Orleans and of its founding families. Since 2003, the Maison de nos Aïeux presents historical exhibits and works to improve the access to genealogical resources to its visitors.
Finally, in 2001, the foundation continues its expansion with the installation and the opening of the Parc-des-Ancêtres, a place of commemoration and of relaxation at the heart of Sainte-Famille.
Information and reservation